Sunday, September 15, 2013

Learning from our Differences

Today, my girlfriend and I are celebrating our first anniversary of dating each other. I am not trying to brag in anyway, but for teenagers, a year of dating is really impressive. That got me thinking about love, specifically teenage love.

I think one of the biggest challenges for teenagers is the lack of self-understanding. I felt called to explore this lack of understanding after I was introduced to the Myers-Briggs personality type indicator at an EYE Planning Meeting. The simple "INFJ" as my result from the test led me to a deep inner-self search of who I am.

My girlfriend, an INTJ, is very similar to me, while also completely different. We have similarities that make us compatible and enjoyable with each other, but our differing qualities broaden our perspective, allowing us to grow more.

This kind of situation is exactly the kind of situation God calls us to.

Sure, it isn't as easy as my girlfriend and I's relationship, but there is some truth in respecting similar qualities in each other while also learning to grow from the differences.

For example, I never tried new foods at restaurants. It was almost pointless to me. I mean, why should I try new foods if I am already so comfortable with the one food I order time and time again? Then my girlfriend came along, challenging me to branch out some. Now I want to go to new restaurants more than old ones, let alone try new foods.

The past year with my girlfriend have caused me to grow in countless ways. Christ taught us to be with people who are different than ourselves so that we grow, because in the end, this whole Church business that we are apart of is all about growth, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment